Monday, August 21, 2006

Programming shouldn't take a lifetime

I have a dream, that one day I will be able to write a game (after having the idea) in less than a day. Nay, in hours! Maybe I'm too impatient, but if I suddently think "yeah, a network RTS this feature x, y AND z would be great", I don't want to waste a week of my life writing it. I want it in a day! And why not? I'm not talking about using the latest "3D Gamemaker Pro" or whatever, I'm talking about having the power to write something quickly, but also get down to the nitty-gritty of the code if need be.

I'm still trying to think how this could be acheived; some kind of "code objects" that can be dropped into a framework. Re-usable classes would be a good idea. I suppose that game objects are too specific to be able to be written generically. You could have a generic "missile" object. Could that be used in an RTS and a 2D shoot'em up? Not without changing the code I fear.

No comments: