Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fixing GRUB

Grub seems to be a constant source of problems.  After updating my Ubuntu I got an error along the lines of "grub may need sorting out for various reasons".  I hate it when it does that, because if it does go wrong, you're usually stuck without a computer and are thus unable to browse the internet to find out how to solve the problem, a'la Catch-22.  Needless to say, when I rebooted, I just got a completely blank screen, not even a cursor flashing in the corner.


Anyway, for my own reference, here's what I did (after booting from a LiveCD - what did we do before LiveCD's?)

Mount the disk:
sudo mount /dev/sdX /mnt


Re-install Grub:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
Obviously, change the sdX bit to point to your HD.
If you're a real masochist, you could try reading this.

No comments: